Is the complexity of adding the Cython code generation and compilation
step considered?
Will it work in all platforms?

The complexity in terms of compiler support for pybind11 is same as cython.
If the users can build pybind, then likely cython works(because cython
compiles to c that have same dependency as pybind11 does). What works for
cython may not work for pybind, if there is a prebuild dll(say in windows
via MSVC) and we want to use a different compiler (MinGW) to build

What are the pitfalls and tradeoffs. Isn't it simpler to just hook up in the
 C++ API without going through an additional compiler?

Note that both cython and pybind can wrap c++ API directly, whether using C
or C++ API might worth another thread. But my general opinion is that
wrapping a C API gives you clear thought on what you need and what is being
exposed, while C++ API

Tiqni