Roadmaps are interesting in a project with a high level of commit-in-dayjob
employment.

Some opinions for my part:

* Roadmaps should be release and not time based. We might have an intent to
release every X months but the roadmap should still be focused on that
release rather than the X months.
** The exception is operational items. Fixing CI, updating website etc; for
these I would have an Operational section and indicate priority and/or
whether they affect release.
* Roadmaps should be wishlists. Items for the V.Next release would either
be Required or Nice to Have. Nice to Haves can (and should) be punted to
the next release by the RM if the Requireds are all resolved.
* Items can be identified as someone having an intent to work on. For
example, as Steffen manages various folk contributing to MXNet, I imagine
he has particular contributions he would like them to work on and is making
time available in the day for that to happen. Ideally the folk he manages
would note that they have the intent rather than it being a borglike
'Amazon' next to it.
** It's important to leave lots of open work, including small items.
** It's important not to continually punt Nice to Haves small items to the
next release. ie: At the start of the roadmap there are a bunch of newbie
items, and then as you get to release stage the existing committers take
care of a large chunk of newbie items.

My tuppence :)

Hen