Aaron, IMO tutorials have a specific purpose, to introduce concepts and
APIs to the users and I think converting examples to tutorials would
overwhelm the users, we should carefully choose which examples we want to
turn into tutorials.

I agree that today examples are graveyard of untested code, my suggestion
is to add some testing to the example when you touch the example - at the
least to check the functionality. These can be run once a week.