I concur. +1 for nightly for pre-release suit.

On 11/30/18, 9:49 AM, "Tianqi Chen" <tqc...@cs.washington.edu> wrote:

    +1 for nightly for pre-release suit, but not the CI that triggered in every
    test.  The best engineering practice is not to add things, but to remove
    things so that there is nothing can be removed.

    In terms of MLDNN, since it is an Intel product, I doubt optimizing for AMD
    CPUs is its goal, adding CI to guard against backward compatibility is a
    bit overkill even. Since the AMD CPU user would likely disable this feature
    and use the original CPU version of the project.

    At least we can contribute to reducing the carbon footprint and slows down
    the global warming :)

    Tianqi

    On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 9:38 AM kellen sunderland <
    kellen.sunderl...@gmail.com> wrote:

    > Regarding cost, yes we could run this nightly or simply make it run an
    > existing test suite that would make sense rather than having it duplicate
    > suite.
    >
    > On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 9:26 AM Kumar, Vikas <viku...@amazon.com.invalid>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I don't think there is any downside to this proposal. I think a basic
    > > sanity CI testing on AMD processors will give extra boost to our tests.
    > > This adds to developer productivity and they have one less thing to
worry
    > > about. Developers have spent time in past where they had to manually
test
    > > on AMD  processors, MKLDNN being the recent instance. It's good to have
    > > those test in CI pipeline.
    > > All I see is benefit. If the $ cost is not too high for basic sanity
    > > testing, we should do this, until and unless some strong downside is
    > called
    > > out.
    > >
    > > +1
    > >

    > > On 11/29/18, 5:37 PM, "Anirudh Subramanian" <anirudh2...@gmail.com>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >     Instruction set extensions support like AVX2, AVX512 etc. can vary
    > > between
    > >     AMD and Intel and there can also be a time lag between when Intel
    > > supports
    > >     it versus when AMD supports it.
    > >     Also, in the future this setup may be useful in case MXNet supports
    > AMD
    > >     GPUs and AWS also happens to have support for it.
    > >
    > >     Anirudh
    > >

    > >     On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 4:29 PM Marco de Abreu
    > >     <marco.g.ab...@googlemail.com.invalid> wrote:
    > >
    > >     > I think it's worth a discussion to do a sanity check. While
    > > generally these
    > >     > instructions are standardized, we also made the experience with
ARM
    > > that
    > >     > the theory and reality sometimes don't match. Thus, it's always
    > good
    > >     > check.
    > >     >
    > >     > In the next months we are going to refactor our slave creation
    > > processes.
    > >     > Chance Bair has been working on rewriting Windows slaves from
    > > scratch (we
    > >     > used images that haven't really been updated for 2 years - we
still
    > > don't
    > >     > know what was done on them) and they're ready soon. In the
    > following
    > >     > months, we will also port our Ubuntu slaves to the new method
    > (don't
    > > have a
    > >     > timeline yet). Ideally, the integration of AMD instances will only
    > > be a
    > >     > matter of running the same pipeline on a different instance type.
    > In
    > > that
    > >     > Case, it should not be a big deal.
    > >     >
    > >     > If there are big differences, that's already a yellow flag for
    > >     > compatibility, but that's unlikely. But in that case, we would
have
    > > to make
    > >     > a more thorough time analysis and whether it's worth the effort.
    > > Maybe,
    > >     > somebody else could also lend us a hand and help us with adding
AMD