Dear MXNet community,

We are from Cambricon, a leading supplier of artificial intelligence chips. We
have two product lines, including IP products (e.g., Cambricon 1A/1H) and chip
products (e.g., MLU100 released in May 2018)

We are now adapting MXNet on Cambricon products. During the follow-up session,
we plan to open source, and hope to merge these new features into the master
branch of MXNet and to be a part of MXNet's long-term support. We firmly
believe that these MLU features will promote the MXNet community development.
To this end, we are ready to accept the rigorous inspection of MXNet community.
In addition, we need advice from the community to achieve high quality
implementation. On this basis, we very much hope to reach a full-scale
long-term cooperation with the community.

In order to achieve the above goals, we hope to keep in touch with the
community on some issues. Looking forward to your valuable feedback.

1. MLU100 mainly focuses on inference, and we plan to first support the
inference part of MXNet. The training part of MXNet on MLU will be released in
the future. Is that acceptable for MXNet community?

2. Though MLU can support various operators/networks, to guarantee high
quality, all supported operators submitted to the community should undergo
rigorous stress test. Thus, at the beginning, we plan to release a small number
of supported operators and networks, and more of them will be continuously
added. Is that acceptable or do we have to support all networks in the ModelZoo
in the first release?

3. Currently we plan to support both Python and C++ APIs. More details on
supported APIs will be provided in a follow-up proposal.

4. We need to modify the mShadow in order to support tensor memory operations.

5. In order to enable the community to run and fully test our code, we want to
provide the community with a complete test environment. At present, we are
considering the following three ways.
A) Provides several remote servers for community and integrates with the
community's Jenkins.
B) Provide a cloud platform to the community.
C) Donate MLU100 to the community's testing platform. However, we don’t know
the specific ways of donation, and we hope to get help. We are wondering about
how MXNet's test servers are managed.

About more technical details, a proposal will be submitted to the community
before releasing the code.

In addition to the above points, the remaining questions and suggestions are
also welcome. Thanks!

More about Cambricon:
Cambricon is the artificial intelligence computing pioneer that engineers and
successfully commercializes world’s first dedicated machine learning processor.
To bring its unique AI processors from edge to cloud, enriching and advancing
human life, is the firm mission of the company. Dr. Tianshi Chen is the founder
and CEO of Cambricon, where he brings over 10 years experience in the fields of
micro-processor architecture and artificial intelligence.
In 2016, Cambricon released Cambricon 1A processor, the first commercial
machine learning specific processor in the world. Later, during the 3rd World
Internet Conference, Cambricon 1A processor was elected as one of “World
Leading Internet Scientific and Technological Achievements“. In May 2018,
Cambricon released MLU100, a machine learning chip which is in mass production
now. By offering revolutionary technology and products, Cambricon has
established and remains active relationships with various companies in the AI
industry.

Regards,
Haochong Zhang
Cambricon MXNet Development Team