Thank you Tianqi and Sam for the kind suggestions.

@Tianqi,

Can you please point me to the code of this pass or do you think anyone from
TVM community can help to educate me on this? I'm very happy to learn from that.

Just one note, we are not only doing layout transformation but also want to
have more memory for layout transformation.
For example, (N=32, C=3, H=256, W=256) will be padded to (N=32, C=16, H=256,
W=256) on channel dimension then convert (N=32, C=16, H=256, W=256) to nchw16c
so we can leverage corresponding optimal computation kernels.
That's why we also need changes to the memory planning pass.

@Sam,

Yes, definitely we're treating MKL-DNN as an accelerator on CPU. Previously we
used it to accelerate certain critical operators in MXNet in certain
situations, eg. FP32 convolution/deconvolution/fullyConnected, etc. But along
with the evolving of both MXNet and MKL-DNN, we started to do more which might
not supported by MXNet in original CPU implementation, such as quantization and
graph fusion. So MKL-DNN backend is also changing from a simple `accelerator`
to a `default` backend on CPU. And I totally agree with you that we need think
more about the software architecture for maintainability, testability and
readability - that's why I sent out this proposal to get more ideas from the
community.

-tao