Hi Marco,

On Sun, 6 Oct 2019 at 00:09, Marco de Abreu <marco.g.ab...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> These are very good points! I also noticed the security incident reporting
> when I reviewed it and I agree that it's something we have to work out.
>
> I will work on something tomorrow and provide a draft for the community to
> review. Do you think it's really necessary to have a separate email alias
> or is it sufficient to use private@?

There is actually a lot of good information related to security issues for
ASF projects here:
http://www.apache.org/security/

This page suggests a typical procedure on how to handle security issues:
https://www.apache.org/security/committers.html

What I read in these pages, is that smaller projects tend to delegate
security issue reporting to the ASF-wide security mailing list, whereas
larger projects (or projects more often concerned with security issues) set
up there own security@project.. mailing list.

I don't see examples directly of projects using the private mailing list
for this purpose, but I read:
  "It is expected that a subset of project PMC members and committers will
be subscribed to the project specific security mailing list. "
and
  "If reported to secur...@apache.org, the security team will forward the
report (without acknowledging it) to the project's security list or, of the
project does not have a security list, to the project's private (PMC)
mailing list."

My opinion:
In the short term you don't need a project-specific security mailing list.
Users are for all ASF projectsby default directed to report security issues
here: secur...@apache.org .
You just need to document this on your website somewhere.

If you start to see many issues being reported this way the project can
decide that it's better to have a small group of volunteers to handle these
reports.

Have a look at this project list to see how other ASF projects are
informing their users. I like the Apache Ant example for its simplicity,
but it has all the needed information:
http://www.apache.org/security/projects.html
regards,

Lieven