This is actually useful information, thanks.

Still I don't see a justificqtion for vetoing being able to choose the
library at compile time. Fixing the issue you reasonably describe and being
able to choose are two orthogonal topics.

Thanks for the constructive information.

On Sunday, December 8, 2019, Chris Olivier <cjolivie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> After further investigation I find:
>>
>> 1) I don't think https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/issues/14979
is
>> caused by any incompatibility between gomp and llvm / intel omp. Rather
>> it's
>> simply a problem of llvm / intel omp. See my comment to the issue for the
>> methodology to arrive at this claim.
>>
>> 2) Regarding the assertion failure when compiling with (llvm)
>> 3rdparty/openmp,
>> it can be fixed by updating the by now 2 years old llvm openmp code to
the
>> newest released version. I went ahead and opened a PR
>> https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pull/17012
>>
>> Based on the investigation described in 1), I think Chris is right that
the
>> assertion failure is not due to some interaction between gomp and llvm
omp.
>> However, I'm not sure about Chris's suggestion that the assertion failure
>> is due
>> to a bug in MXNet. In fact, the failure goes away when updating the llvm
>> openmp
>> code. So I think it's just due to a bug in the 2 years old code.
>>
>> @Chris, I think updating 3rdparty/openmp to fix the assertion issue is
not
>> contentious. Thus let's do it via lazy consensus (72 hours) or just
>> approve the
>> PR and merge it.
>>
>> Please also take a look at my comment at #14979 and let everyone know if
>> you see
>> any option to fix the bug while keeping 3rdparty/openmp. As this bug
>> affects an
>> important use-case, I beleive we need to remove 3rdparty/openmp from the
>> CMake
>> build as long as we don't find a solution for making #14979 work with
>> 3rdparty/openmp.
>>
>> In fact, removing 3rdparty/openmp will then match the current Makefile
>> setup
>> that according to my understanding is used to build the nightly releases
>> used by
>> the majority of developers. Ie. most users actually don't use the CMake
>> build
>> with 3rdparty/openmp. You can consider rescinding your veto on removing
>> 3rdparty/openmp after reading through the evidence in that issue. If you
>> don't
>> provide any evidence for why the methodology/conclusion in #14979 is
>> flawed, I
>> will assume your previous veto is void based on Apache Voting rule as it
>> lacks
>> technical justification and in any case was motivated by the assertion
>> issue,
>> which I agree with you, is likely not due to gomp / omp interaction.
>>
>> Thank you
>> Leonard
>>

>> On Sat, 2019-12-07 at 15:40 -0800, Pedro Larroy wrote:

Intel

https://github.com/intel/mkl-dnn/blob/433e086bf5d9e5ccfc9ec0b70322f931b6b1921d/doc/build/build_options.md#openmp

https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pull/12160#issuecomment-415078066

>> much
>> with

>> move

>> which is

>> for
>> version
>> issues

>> releases
>> in
>> data

>> MKL,

MXNet

https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/issues/10856#issuecomment-562637931

Conduct

https://www.apache.org/foundation/policies/conduct#specific-guidelines

>> (upstream_master)+$
>> > > > > > >
>> /home/piotr/mxnet_1.6/build/3rdparty/openmp/runtime/src/libomp.so
>> (upstream_master)+$

~/deeplearning-benchmark/image_classification/infer_imagenet.py
>> momentum=0.9,
>> decoding..
>> 43.150922
>> 37.971927