On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 1:17 PM Lausen, Leonard
<lau...@amazon.com.invalid> wrote:
> If I don't misremember, our mentor Markus Weimer suggested at KDD 2019 in a
> conversation that it's easiest to stop bundling non-ASF 3rdparty code.

You do not misremember :-) If possible, it is easiest for everyone
involved to capture the dependencies in a clean way for the build
system to download. That being said, I came to this conclusion in the
relative sane space of Java / Maven projects. I believe that this
isn't the state of the art in C++, and might be difficult to do. Has
anyone looked into whether the dependencies are or could be made
available e.g. as VCpkgs? [0]

The other aspect to consider are situations where the code mxnet
depends on is actually also managed by people in the mxnet community.
I believe a lot of that was the case when mxnet started in the
incubator from dmlc. For those cases, one could consider inverting the
dependency relationship: The ASF / ASL is designed to be the universal
donor of software. Hence, it is unlikely that depending on any ASF
code would be a problem for current dependencies of the DMLC code.

Markus

[0]: https://github.com/Microsoft/vcpkg