A couple of general notes:

* Three level hierarchies are not really a good idea,
  because the leaf nodes of the tree have a hard time
  getting either the attention they want or the oversight
  (from the PMC) that they need.  I would not do that.

* At the end of the day, anyone you accept as a MyFaces
  committer has commit rights on the entire source tree
  of the project (if that weren't the case, then the separated
  code should be in its own project).  Therefore, the organization
  of the source tree is better thought of as being centered around
  artifacts that you want to be able to deliver independently of
  each other, not around building subcommunities.  Layout is just
  a convenience to make building and releasing packages easier.

Craig