A few comments/questions on Bill's proposal...

The first is, do we want to go with Cactus, Cargo and Ant for this?  I
don't have a problem with this although we've talked off and on about
using Maven for this at some point.  Since our biggest Maven guru
(James Mitchell) is busy with some other stuff right now I say lets
stick with what we know.

One thing I think we should do is check out what Craig and the gang
are up to in Shale.  They have all of these mock objects, etc that
they are using to test Shale.  Lets make sure they haven't figured out
something already that we could use or easily adapt for our use.

There are a lot of extra dependencies but they are only for the build,
not the actual usage of myfaces or tomahawk so I don't think that's
too big of a deal.  One option is a separate target for downloading
the dependencies associated with the tests, but that might be a bit
much.  That does mean, however, that in order to build from the source
you are required to supply your own local jars or use
download-dependencies and download some jars that you might not have
otherwise needed.

@Bill,

You asked about breaking things with this new build.  Here is a good
rule of thumb for you to verify this.  Do an SVN checkout of
myfaces-current and then do a unit-test-all from current/build.  Then
do clean-all from the same dir (to reset things).  Then go to each
subproject and build indepedently (but in a logcial order b/c that is
still required).  So api/build unit-test, share/build unit-test,
impl/build unit-test, etc.  Also you should probably do the same for
dist-all at the top level and then dist at each of the subproject
levels.  Just to make sure that "one build to rule them all" still
applies.

I will try the patch shortly when I get some much needed free time.

sean