On 1/9/06, John Fallows <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  @Wendy:  Were you seeing problems when defining your common dependencies in
> the parent pom in the <dependencies> section, or in the
> <dependencyManagement> section?

The problem with the Maven 1 build for Struts is that there are things
in the "common" build file that are _not_ common to all of the
sub-projects.  I don't want that to happen with the m2 build.

What I'm finding so far is that for Struts, the transitive dependency
mechanism is taking care of the things that would otherwise need to be
inherited.  Struts Action has most of the dependencies, and the
half-dozen modules that depend on struts-action will transitively pick
up those dependencies.

The two dependencies that I've had to repeat are the Servlet API,
because it is marked 'provided' and so is not transitive, and JUnit,
which is usually in test scope.  JUnit could probably go in the parent
pom without breaking anything... but I just *know* that as soon as I
put Servlet in the parent pom, we'll adopt some sub-project that
doesn't need it and I'll regret having done it.

--
Wendy