Hi Simon!

>  Do you perhaps have some other tests you've
> written which have not been checked in and which might have this
> side-effect, and which are run before this test?

;-) No I havent written any tests so far.

But thanks for the hints, now I got it. Its the UISelectManyTest which
setup a facesContext and didnt reset it in tearDown.
I'll create a AbstractTestCase which
*) ensures the facesContext is null in startUp()
*) sets the context to null in tearDown()

For this I need to to copy the FacesContextHelper from commons to
myfaces-api, but its a rather small file, so this should be not that a
problem.
Now it works as expected. I'll create a JIRA ticket for it.

Thanks!
Ciao,
Mario