Now that we're using maven2 to build MyFaces, perhaps it's time to take advantage of some of the more interesting plugins, and specifically the PMD plugin:
http://pmd.sourceforge.net/

The PMD plugin for maven2 offers 2 report types, a Cut&Paste Detector and a problem detector, with configurable rulesets. I've introduced this plugin at work about a month ago and I must say that it has definitely improved the code quality of our projects. Even very experienced Java developers can learn something from this auditing tool.

Do you think it would be interesting to put this plugin in the MyFaces POM? We could start with a limited ruleset to not get overwhelmed in the beginning, and then gradually expand the list of rulesets. I'm willing to lead this auditing effort, and implement the changes suggested by PMD.

Of course, I could just do this audit without the PMD maven plugin, but using the Eclipse PMD plugin as well, but then noone would see the progress we're making in that area :) One reason not to use this plugin might be the license of PMD (BSD license), does the license of the maven plugins matter for an Apache project?

Kind regards,

Jurgen