Hi!
> i'm not sure and have not tested, but AFAIK the
> <link rel="stylesheet" ..> tags don't work outside html-head.

This is where the second idea comes in:

We no longer buffer the jsp page, instead we buffer the css. What does
this mean?
We render a css link in html-head which looks something like this:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
href="/myfacesExtensionFilter/requestId/combined.css">

A map on the server indexed by an requestId will serve than a dynamic
css with all the required @import statements.
The only downside here is that the combined.css cant be cached (it
changes all over the time) but this is not really a problem as the real
css are still cacheable by the browser.

I am going to test this out now.

Ciao,
Mario