I had a similar problem where I wanted to display different UI input
components depending on the type of data in the row (ie String, Date, Double
etc). I found the easiest way to do this was to add ALL the options and
select which is displayed using the rendered attribute. I also did not want
to just 'hide' the ones that did not apply, however as far as I know the
rendered attribute doesn't just hide the component, it doesn't even create
it. I needed this behaviour otherwise I would have got runtime errors eg
trying to call a String method on a Double.
Hope this helps,
Nick