From: Manfred Geiler [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, November 24, 2006 10:50 AM
To: MyFaces Development
Subject: Commons Jsf Utils

Hi *,
Anyone remembering the old idea of having a separate "commons jsf
utils" project?

Mission:
- provide utilities for JSF component developers as well as JSF
application developers
- provide a stable API
- must not depend on a certain JSF implementation
- own release schedule independent of core and tomahawk. Maybe
propelled by a sister project of course... ;-)

One perfect example of a jsf-commons class I just stumbled across is
UIComponentTagUtils. It's the class where all those boring
set*Property methods are implemented, that do the "if value-binding
then... else..." things.

Proposal:
- Initiate a new MyFaces sub-project called "commons-jsf"
(Yes! There did exist a "commons" in ancient times. It was the
forerunner for our current "shared" project and the reason we renamed
"commons" to "shared" was, that we planned to create a REAL commons
project later. Remember?)
- We start with those obvious common jsf utils (like
UIComponentTagUtils)
- Each (new) util class must be carefully designed to be able to
provide a robust API

Thoughts?

Manfred