Hi Craig!
> One of the architectural approaches that MyFaces developers seem to do
> pretty often, even when they don't have to, is think of everything as
> needing a component.
Hehe, yes indeed. But I'll try to move away from such approaches, the
Spring Conversation integration should no longer need them, even if
supported.

> * Dialog instances can be started programmatically
Yes, thats easy.

> or
>   by looking for a special prefix on the logical outcome
>   returned by an action.
Thats something we have to take a look at, though, we don't want to
build a full featured dialog framework.
Lets go small steps, maybe spring-webflow fits in there, but for sure
shale-dialog will have its place here too.

> * Instead of explicitly modifying the URL
</snip>

> ... the dialog identifier
>   (and any other related stuff) is stored as a generic attribute
>   on the view root component.
Hey, this one is interesting, I'll give it a try.

> The latter approach has an advantage in that you can pass any sort of
> state that is serializable (and therefore get <t:saveState> out of
> your pages too!  :-), and a disadvantage that it doesn't react well to
> the redirect-after-post pattern.  But it is worth taking a look at.
The advantage of the url-parameter method is to allow to easily render
links WITHOUT the conversationContext attribute and thus a new
conversation context will be started.
Maybe a mix of both strategies will be fine ...

Thanks alot!

Ciao,
Mario