Seems like the subject nether become obsolete nor irrelevant from the beginning of 2006. I mean it is still important for may (including myself) and not yet resolved. IMHO the "statefull" nature of JSF is most obvious problem of this technology.

I wonder if we can come up with some solution within latest spec or we must postpone this till rise of JSF 2.0?

Best,
Igor.

Jacob Hookom wrote:
Adam Winer (Oracle ADF), Ed Burns (JSF Co-Spec Lead), and myself talked about this in combination with Facelets at JavaOne last year, we actually have some numbers generated:

http://weblogs.java.net/blog/edburns/archive/2006/05/javaone_video_a_1.html
(video, excuse my Minnesota slang)

Facelets currently does have an option to build a tree completely on post back as an alternative to StateSaving, some of this (theory) is described here:

http://weblogs.java.net/blog/jhook/archive/2006/01/experiment_goin_1.html

Some caveats occur with UIInputs default behavior for ValueChangeListeners instead of comparing the sent value to the bound variable, it instead compares to the last value rendered-- preventing a stateless postback from firing ValueChangeEvents. There are others-- but the moral is that any state stored should be an extreme rarity if we can assert a consistent component model (everything is a UIComponent). JSF's unique approach to View/Model separation only re-enforces the perspective of UIComponents as pure mediators for the request (render or postback). JSF's rules around Client Id generation and API methods such as findComponent and invokeOnComponent prove that we can do some pretty cool things with structual consistency. I would like to see this re-architected for JSF 2.0 such that only sparse usages of a @Stateful annotation on a UIComponent's member field is required and viewstate can then stay below a few hundred bytes instead of a few hundred kilobytes, stateless in most cases unless you have some 'counter' component.

With frameworks such as JMaki, Dojo, YUI-Ext, etc-- we are seeing a strong push to componentize within the browser via JavaScript-- well, as we talked about in our JavaOne presentation-- there's usually some server-side facet to mediate the communication. Many of these frameworks require development of separate endpoints, but if we take something like JSF's specific rules for page/clientId negotiation-- then we can start to combine/relate these components in a richer fashion on the server. Many solutions such as JMake, Dojo, and GWT try to mediate multiple events on the client, resulting in 5 or 6 separate request/responses to complete a task on the client (even initial load)-- where the Avatar/Ajax4jsf solutions can deliver multiple changes from their UIComponent counterparts in a single request/response, while keeping within the full JEE stack on the server--

-- Jacob

Thomas Spiegl wrote:
Maybe you can take a look at the Trinidad approach. I think Trinidad
solves state-saving more effective than tomahawk or myfaces does.