lightbulb,

It doesn't sound like you are discussing JSF navigation here at all.

Key point to note: by default, JSF navigates with server-side forwards. These *do not* result in the browser URL being updated. :)

regards,

Jeff Bischoff
Kenneth L Kurz & Associates, Inc.

lightbulb432 wrote:
Regarding the back button problem, I have a question:

So the issue is that you have an original page with a form on it
(page1.html) that was obtained through a GET; the browser bar shows
page1.html. You POST that form to a destination of page2.html (as defined in
<form>) and a response is generated in whatever way and the browser bar now
shows page2.html.

First question: is this a postback? (Is a regular POST the same as a
postback?)

From page2.html, the user hits the back button...doesn't it just do a GET on
page1.html and all is fine? What's the issue?

I'd guess that hitting the Refresh button would cause another POST to
page2.html with the same parameters, but hitting the Back button would cause
a GET to page1.html...am I totally off here?

Jacob Hookom wrote:
If it's like the RI, the reasoning is to accommodate the back button issue
with server-side state saving.  It would be wrong to assume/associate a
single state with a page given multiple windows and back button use. Using a sequence adds a level of uniqueness to state which is equal to
'page + sequence id'.

I've been noticing in my output a jsf_sequence hidden form field that
increments on what seems to be each request. What's the reason for such an
incrementing hidden field?

Does it have something to do with this "back button issue"? If so, how?

I tried using a debugger but quickly got overwhelmed... :(