Hi Mike!
> SubmitOnEvent doesn't work as child of h:selectOneMenu without
> explicit id.  If 'id="choiceInput"' is removed from the example code
> below, no submit occurs.
Strange thing, I tested it now with the following thing

        <h:selectOneMenu
                value="#{configuratorData.selectedComponent}">
            <f:selectItems
                    value="#{configuratorData.components}" />
            <s:submitOnEvent
                    event="change"
                    for="showPieces" />
        </h:selectOneMenu>

and it worked. At least with the latest sandbox.
AFAIK you use a older version of the sandbox, is this true for this
project too? Maybe I changed something in the meantime.

If not, could you please check if the submitOnEvent javascript code has
been rendered to the html, must look like something like:

setTimeout("orgApacheMyfacesSubmitOnEventRegister('change','','_idJsp14:_idJsp19','_idJsp14:showPieces');",
 50)

Thanks!

Ciao,
Mario