Hello Bernd,

Thanks for looking into this. I think geronimo might be able to work with the changes you have made, but I don't think it would be a good idea in the current form. I have two suggestions.

1. Please make use of the discovery mechanism optional. Geronimo controls the startup order of all these components and it is much simpler to simply create and install the instances of the components at he appropriate time during startup rather than hiding the information about what class (not instance) will be used somewhere in the structure of the classloading hierarchy and then trying to fish it out again through some procedure that takes at least a full page to explain. I feel strongly enough about this that I would rather use setAccessible on private members of the discovery classes to install components than to use it as it is intended. Also, in its current form geronimo is getting exceptions from the discovery code on shutdown and its possible that the changes have significantly slowed startup.

2. While I think adding a newInstance method to AnnotationProcessor is a step forward, I would still prefer that myfaces use an interface like the one I suggested with only

newInstance
and
destroyInstance

methods, and provided an adapter to the AnnotationProcessor interface. If geronimo implements the AnnotationProcessor interface itself, we will do all the work implied by the newInstance, processAnnotations, and postConstruct methods in the newInstance method. While right now this won't cause any problems according to my analysis of the MyFaces code currently using the AnnotationProcessor interface, it makes it very easy for future developers to insert required functionality between MyFaces calls to these methods. If these calls to newInstance, processAnnotations, and postConstruct are all in an adapter class if is very easy to find and compensate for any changes in this area.

I've attached a further patch MYFACES-1559-3.patch with suggestions for these changes to the jira issue.

i'll mention that I think it might simplify the structure, ease of understanding, and speed of myfaces if the LifecycleProvider instances used by ManagedBeanFactory and the listeners were supplied to their constructors and held in final variables. This would require that there were instances of ManagedBeanFactory and the listeners for each application deployed. Despite my interest in this I don't have time or sufficient understanding of myfaces to try to implement it at this time. This is similar to my desire to have geronimo directly set the LifecycleProviderFactory/ AnnotationProcessorFactory rather than having the factory examine its environment for something that might work.

many thanks!
david jencks