Mike,

It's great that you're working on this. I was definately a bit confused the first time I ever ran into that error message. I think your revisions are a big improvement.

I see only one bit of ambiguity in the new message, the line:

+ " You cannot submit a form after disabling an input element via javascript."

From the seat of a naive user, it is unclear from this wording whether disabling an input will prevent the entire form submit from succeeding. At the risk of making the message even longer, it would be good to point out the consequences of this mistake, e.g.

+ " You cannot submit a form after disabling an input element via javascript - doing so will cause the entire submit to fail"

or

+ " You cannot submit a form after disabling an input element via javascript - doing so may have unexpected results"

I don't know. I don't remember exactly what the effects of this are, it's been a while since I've had the problem. If we know what damage this does though, we should state it.

In any case, the changes are definately for the better. You get my +1, even with no further revisions.

Regards,

Jeff Bischoff
Kenneth L Kurz & Associates, Inc.

Mike Kienenberger wrote:
After reading the source code again, here's my revised message:

= "There should always be a submitted value for an input if it is rendered,"
    + " its form is submitted, and it was not originally rendered
disabled or read-only.";
+ " You cannot submit a form after disabling an input element via javascript."
    + "  Consider setting read-only to true instead"
   + " or resetting the disabled value back to false prior to form
submission.";