Over in geronimo we noticed this text and have responded by:

1. for the schemas that we generate code from (using xmlbeans or jaxb) we checked the schemas into a non-publically-accessible repository (with our tck stuff) and generate the code there, and publish source and binary jars, both without the schemas themselves.

2. We also have an ongoing effort to produce unencumbered schemas. Apparently (IANAL) the actual schema/dtd is not copyrightable as it is an interface specification, the part that is copyrightable is the comments, annotations, etc. So, we have been typing up the schemas ourselves without any of the descriptive material.

I don't remember the exact history but I think that Sun declined to change or clarify the licensing terms so we could redistribute the sun schemas themselves. It's also possible that we just couldn't get an answer.

My understanding is that tomcat svn includes quite a number of schemas/dtds with these license conditions, and that this is ok because they were checked into svn (or more likely cvs) by sun employees who presumably had the proper authorization to do so.

How something that is freely available on the web without going through even a clickthrough license can be maintained to be confidential is a question I can only assume lawyers would love to answer.

thanks
david jencks