+1 for Manfreds suggestion.

2007/4/18, Manfred Geiler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
Yes.
+1 for a switch

But let's discuss the "how" first.

Just had a look at the tomcat repo and I like the structure they use.
Main issue is that they do not name their trunk folder "trunk" but
rather give it a name corresponding to the actual major/minor version
(eg "tc5.5.x"). I like this idea.
And what is more: moving the current trunk to branches sounds weird to
me. The 1.1.x is no branch and never will be a real branch of 1.2.x.
So, why force it into the branches folder? MyFaces 1.1.x and MyFaces
1.2.x have more the nature of two separate development trunks because
they implement different specs. The Tomcat guys address such issues in
the way I just described. So, why not learn from them?

So, if we follow that path consistently our (sub)projects will each
have the following structure:

/branches
/branches/1_1_6
/branches/1_2_1
/tags
/tags/1_1_2
/tags/1_1_3
/tags/1_1_4
/tags/1_1_5
/tags/1_2_0
/tags/1_2_1
/1_1_x          <--- the trunk for JSF 1.1 development
/1_2_x          <--- the trunk for JSF 1.2 development

The great advantage: We can do this step by step without breaking
anything. All we need to do is point the externals in the "current"
project to the right trunk folder. We even can do the restructuring
first and point the externals to the corresponding "1_1_x" trunks and
in a second step switch "current" to the "1_2_x" trunks without a need
to restructure again.

WDYT?

--Manfred

On 4/18/07, Mathias Brökelmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> +1 but without a merge of the 1.1 trunk into 1.2. We have to select
> each individual issue. That is quite time consuming and shouldn't be
> done with this step.
>
> What about this:
> move current trunk to a 1.1 branch and
> move current 1.2 branch to trunk.
>
> That is quite a small step without any side effects to the existing code base.
>
> Cheers,
> Mathias
>
> 2007/4/18, Martin Marinschek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > Hi *,
> >
> > this is a formal vote on using the 1.2 branch as current now.
> >
> > Steps in doing this:
> >
> > - branch the current head as 1.1.5_1
> > - merge down the 1.2 branch to current head (that will be a lot of
> > work, I'll tackle it)
> >
> > my +1 for doing this right now.
> >
> > regards,
> >
> > Martin