Yes, I am afraid there is not much documentation (always necessary)
for that plugin and I still have to look often into the code to
understand what it does. The plugin has too many goals and many
configuration attributes. For MyFaces 1.2 I took most of the trinidad
configuration, with only some changes.
I see what you say, the plugin is writing some @override annotations.
I guess that, for JSF <1.2 should not do that so we should check the
implementation before outputing the annotation. Can you open a JIRA
issue? Feel free to do the changes yourself, it should be simple.
Some day, maybe I will write some documentation, because there is not
known documentation (right Adam?).

Cheers,

Bruno