No doubt I''m just stupid...
The new improved xsd still says:

No part of this document
      may be reproduced in any form by any means without prior
      written authorization of Sun and its licensors, if any.

Am I supposed to be able to figure out that the license _is_ such prior written authorization?

As for other similar cases, I'm not aware of other schemas or dtds from sun that have the explicit "PROPRIETARY CONFIDENTIAL" at the top, but all (or almost all) the other ones I've seen have the language I just quoted and (definitely) no license header. So, assuming the current versions are actually OK to put in public svn, it would be great to get copies of all the java ee 5, j2ee 1.4, j2ee 1.3, and j2ee 1.2 schemas and dtds with similar license headers. Previously (IIUC due to some complaints from others at Sun) the geronimo project has spent quite a bit of effort removing all these schemas and dtds from public svn. We'd love to be able to put them back.

Geronimo would like at least:

application-client_5.xsd
application_5.xsd
ejb-jar_3_0.xsd
handler-chain.xsd
javaee_5.xsd
javaee_web_services_1_2.xsd
javaee_web_services_client_1_2.xsd
jsp_2_1.xsd
persistence_1_0.xsd
web-app_2_5.xsd
web-facesconfig_1_2.xsd  (already done)
web-jsptaglibrary_2_1.xsd

application-client_1_4.xsd
application_1_4.xsd
connector_1_5.xsd
ejb-jar_2_1.xsd
j2ee_1_4.xsd
j2ee_jaxrpc_mapping_1_1.xsd
j2ee_web_services_1_1.xsd
j2ee_web_services_client_1_1.xsd
jsp_2_0.xsd
web-app_2_4.xsd
web-jsptaglibrary_2_0.xsd

Although the portlet-app_1_0.xsd (http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/portlet/ portlet-app_1_0.xsd) doesn't have any restrictive language, it also doesn't have any indication at all of its license in the xsd itself. A license header would be a welcome improvement IMO.

many thanks,
david jencks