Hi!
>> Currently orchestra has a feature that causes conversations that have
>> not been accessed within 30 minutes to automatically be deleted.
>> Similarly, conversation-contexts that have not been accessed within 30
>> minutes also get deleted.
>>

> This came up [1] in relation to Shale dialogs [2], and some of the
> things you bring up here along with trying to encourage better
> developer discipline have kept us from introducing any notion of
> dialog timeouts there till date.

I don't see that DBCP and e.g. HTTP Session timeout is comparable.
With DBCP the developer clearly has a chance to provide a clean code
which returns a borrowed connection - this is not the case for a HTTP
Session nor for a conversation.
The user can close a window or the browser or navigate to some other
place within the application and you just couldn't know that.
If the user came back to a page and the conversation is still active,
fine, it is likely to assume that he/she would like to continue the
work. If not, its clearly that we have a stale object which we have to
get rid of.
However, having a conversation-timeout=0 could be possible to disable
any automatic cleanup - for those who requires it.

IMHO a conversation or dialog timeout is in the same level than the
session timeout, and no one would argue that we have to deal with that.
Being able to disable it would be a fine addition, though.

Ciao,
Mario