Hi!
>> If, we have to use the (never ;-) ) upcoming myfaces-commons project.
>> Are you willing to volunteer?
>>

> What, is tomahawk dead? I must check the myfaces archives....

No, tomahawk is not dead, it is just that tomahawk should be a component
library only while myfaces-commons has something like validators,
phase-listeners, etc but no components.
One might argue this should be part of Shale .... I don't know.

>> We also have the AnnotationsViewControllerManager which uses the
>> @ViewController annotation where you can configure which view-ids the
>> bean belongs to.
>>

> Hmm..this really tightly couples the source code of the bean to the
> current JSP structure. Moving a JSP page means changing the source code
> for a class...

I think the whole separation between page author and bean developer
works as long as you have beans just providing a "service" and a page
uses many different beans to render its output.
If you have a controller bean which gathers all the data required for
the page they are coupled .... whatever you'll do.
> It still feels a little wrong to me though.
</snip>
> An alternate solution would be to force a page to "declare" all the
> beans it uses at the top of the page, and for it to be an error for any
> EL expression to reference a variable that has not been "declared". The
> declarations could then be inspected to find beans to invoke lifecycle
> methods on. However that's not part of the JSF spec.

Ok, so what we can try is to create a jsf tag which allows one to
configure (all) the bean-name(s) acting as view-controller for the page.
> Now as the "page author" is the one who knows what views exist, surely
> it must be this person who is also responsible for defining the
> view-to-bean mappings. How can the "application developer" who writes
> the backing beans do this when the views (theoretically) are not written
> until later?

It is a question of what happens first :-)
I think first a view will be created acting as prototype and later the
bean will be developed.
But I won't get cumbersome on this.

> Am I right that the whole point of this ViewController stuff is just to
> allow the dynaForm component to work? If so, maybe what we need to do is
> not debate the ViewController stuff but look at whether dynaForm can be
> implemented in a way that doesn't need it..

No, the ViewController stuff in Orchestra is just to have a simple
ViewController and based on this the @ConversationRequire annotation
working.
The dynaForm do not require it.

Ciao,