Hi!

I found the problem.

I requested the "to-be-decorated" application within my constructor
which failed as with an JSF 1.1. compiled class the FacesContext is
required to find the JSF 1.2 default application implementation.

JSF 1.2 will then dispatch the new methods to the default implementation
automatically - _instead to the decorated one_.

Which means, if you have a JSF 1.1. Application in the chain,
inheritance do not work as expected as JSF 1.2 methods are not
dispatched to the decorated application but to the default implementation.

In MyFaces I can't find such a behavior at all, isn't it defined by the
spec?

I event can't use the proxy based solution as the Application isn't an
interface and using AOP fails as the
com.sun.faces.application.ApplicationAssociate checks that it hasn't
been instantiated twice. (via ASSOCIATE_KEY in the application map)

It's odd.

Ciao,
Mario