This looks like it fails if validation is set to alert mode;  _autoSubmit
always calls _validateInput, which calls _validateInline.

Also, if immediate is true, the _autoSubmit param validateForm is true?
That seems weird...

I think I've seen this code:
+  if (_agent.isIE)
+  {
+    // in many forms there is a hidden field named "event"
+    // Sometimes IE gets confused and sends us that instead of
+    // the true event, so...
+    if (event["type"] == "hidden")
+      event = window.event;
+  }
+

... elsewhere.  Never a good thing to cut-and-paste in JS.

-- Adam