On 11/5/07, Bernd Bohmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I would suggest following changes for the next version:
>
> remove
>
> maven-compiler-plugin
> maven-checkstyle-plugin
> maven-pmd-plugin
>
> I think these plugins should be configured by the subprojects.

Hmm, generally we have two options regarding plugin configurations:
 - "opt-out": Define a default in the master pom. Subprojects may override
those settings if required.
 - "opt-in": Subprojects must take responsibility to provide those
configurations.

My feeling is, we should define all the settings in the master pom that
apply to *most* of our subprojects because:
 - integrity: subproject developers might not be aware of a certain plugin
and tend to "forget" the settings
 - convenience and redundancy avoiding: the smaller each of the subproject
poms the better
 - safety: forgetting to define a plugin might lead to unwanted effects

For the plugins Bernd mentioned:
 - maven-compiler-plugin: The requirement for JSF 1.0 and 1.1 is jdk 1.3 and
therefore all subprojects should be compilable with 1.3 UNLESS they are
explicitly meant for JSF 1.2 or JDK 1.5. Therefore I would prefer "opt-out"
here.
 - maven-checkstyle-plugin: The header check is important to avoid missing
or bad ASF license headers. So, for saftey reasons I would prefer "opt-out"
here as well.
 - maven-pmd-plugin: Is there a good reason why we could/should not have one
global PMD config? Why does Tobago have different settings at the moment? I
guess, it's for historical reasons. So, I would prefer to do a "merge" if
possible.

--Manfred