Gary VanMatre wrote:
From: "Scott O'Bryan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
I don't really see why the physical location affects the ability to fix bugs
or do enhancements in parallel, unless it depends on some common
implementation classes. Or, are you talking more about releases?
Well releases are part of it. I was meerly bringing up that the Bridge (even MyFaces) have impls which perform the logic for "ExternalContext" expected of their various specs. These are duplicated somewhat in the shale-tests. If it were moved over to faces, both the core-team and the bridge team would be able to maintain the test harnesses with the code they are writing. For instance, Mock the Bridge and Servlet API's and Mock the FacesContextFactory. It would, in turn, return an ExternalContext which (while being based off the myfaces or bridge impl) would also expose the setters needed to test thing. But ultimately, the underlying implementations would run under the covers. This would much easier reflect reality.

That said, I was just bringing up the idea that I wouldn't argue against it. The Bridge (and some of the projects I'm doing in commons) need released versions of a portlet test harness and I wouldn't mind adding these test cases to Trinidad either. Whether I pull them from Shale or MyFaces makes no real difference to me, but I could help maintain them better if they were in MyFaces -- for a current committer of shale I am not. :)

Well, I'm not a MyFaces committer either. Ok, I'll bore you - I had to work on Clay under Struts for 6 months submitting patches to the code I contributed before I was nominated to join.
Of course, that was then and this is now but I'd like to see Shale grow as a
community.
The reality is that the majority of Shale was Craig's work.  I don't think that
anyone would
dispute that. David Geary also had a hand in the inception. That's why I'm into the all or nothing versus the cafeteria plan. Shale test is one of the nuggets. The annotation and remoting are also being used as the foundation - point of discussion for JSF 2.0. Shale controller + shale dialog is a simplified version of ADFc 11g. I don't know... I think we all know how to work together amongst apache communities. I'm sorta disappointed but at the same time it makes sense. I remember Ted Husted (someone else I have great respect for) saying open source is sometimes like a jealous mistress. I think he might have told me that just before the merger with webwork.
The interesting bit there is that struts 1.x code base still exists.

Gary

Scott
Well, I'm happy whether it's in MyFaces or Shale, as long as we can update
it for JSF 1.2 and the Bridge. So, if you want it to be part of MyFaces and
are willing to deal with the work of getting it established, I think you'd
have a good case.
What do others think (especially Gary)?