On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 3:36 PM, simon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-06-02 at 20:05 -0500, Leonardo Uribe wrote:
> >

> > On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 4:33 AM, simon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> <stuff about template vs subclass modes removed>
> >
> >         By the way, what does the JSFComponent.parent attribute do?
>
> > In conclusion, "superClass" and "parent" are different concepts.
> > "parent" is a component defined on the model, so the component defined
> > by @JSFComponent annotation inherits properties. "superClass" is used
> > in the template.
>
> If I understand this right, there are now two quite different concepts
> of inheritance:
>
> (a) inheriting logical sets of jsf properties
> (b) normal java inheritance (inheriting type and methods)
>
> If this is the case, then I think it is the wrong way to go.
>
> We need this plugin to be *simple* and *understandable*, both for people
> who use it and people who maintain it. Otherwise the code will bitrot
> and die, just like all the previous attempts at code generation. No-one
> maintained the original myfaces generator, and it is now dead. *You*
> have a good understanding of the trinidad-faces-plugin, but just about
> no-one else does. And MyFaces shouldn't be in a place where it depends
> entirely on you for its continued existence.
>
> That's why using *normal* java inheritance to drive the meta-data makes
> sense. It's something that every Java programmer understands.
>
> This templating stuff is unfortunately necessary, due to the TCK rules.
> But I think it would be best to still emphasise the other ways of using
> the builder *first*, then make this templating stuff an "extra". Unlike
> the way it currently is, where templating is effectively the default and
> you have to explicitly set superClass in order to use the more easily
> understandable subclass-generation approach.

Aaahhhh, in that case use template=true have more sense.
This implies some changes about what we are doing right now, but now this is
fully defined, so I'm not have problem implementing this.

> And setting up a completely separate concept of inheritance in order to
> group JSFProperty definitions seems a really bad idea. It seems that
> this was introduced only to solve problems in Tomahawk. So maybe that
> means that some Tomahawk class hierarchies are actually wrong. If we
> need to introduce a couple of new interfaces that existing classes
> implement, or insert some new abstract base classes into existing
> components to fix what are currently broken hierarchies, then let's do
> that rather than hacking up the builder plugin to use some concept of
> inheritance that is NOT normal java inheritance.

Ok, no prob. I'll detect the problems on the hierarchy and solve it.

Thanks for your accurate suggestions ;)

regards

Leonardo Uribe