[EMAIL PROTECTED] schrieb:
Leonardo Uribe schrieb:

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 7:33 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:

    Matthias Wessendorf schrieb:

        On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 2:20 PM, Leonardo Uribe
        <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:
Hi

            As planned to release tomahawk, It could be good
            (optional) to release
            myfaces core 1.1.6. <http://1.1.6.>

            Is there any task left to do this? If no I'll start the
            release procedure.
        sounds good to me
Sounds good to me too.

    One thing I have meant to do is to check that all the info from
    the (long obsolete) .xml files that sit next to the component
    .java files has been migrated to an appropriate place, then remove
    them. But that's not critical for a release.

    I would suggest giving the release candidate for this a reasonable
    time (>1 week) for the user community to test. There have been
    some radical changes since the last release, and our unit tests
    are not great so getting real-world testing for this would be very
    useful.

    But I would also suggest stating in the RC announcement that only
    *regressions* from the 1.1.5 release will be looked at during the
    rc cycle. We need to get the release cycles going again, even with
    known issues - as long as they are not regressions.

Ok, sounds good taking into account the latest changes, but I have never seen how a release candidate procedure works. I suppose it is the same as normal release but there is no vote, just an announcement about it and where to find the artifacts, and those artifacts are not published on main maven repo, right?
I think that passing around something that has the final version number in it is too dangerous. So instead how about creating a tag dir, and updating the version within that dir to "1.1.7-rc1", then just doing a build and putting the artifacts up on people.apache.org?

Then if testing goes ok, we can either generate the final release from the rc tag dir, or just do a normal release again from trunk (presuming not too much has changed since the rc was tagged).

Ideally we would also push the 1.1.7-rc1 artifacts to the apache snapshot repo, so that maven users can test this rc really easily. I'm not sure how to do that, but it shouldn't be difficult; we can get the manually downloadable artifacts there first, and figure out how to push to the snapshot repo later...

(sorry, please read 1.1.6 instead of 1.1.7 above; got confused between core and tomahawk versions :-)

Hmm..actually, what if its version is named 1.1.6-rc1-SNAPSHOT? That's more appropriate for pushing to the snapshot repo (and "mvn deploy will do so automatically). Does that version# come before or after 1.1.6-SNAPSHOT? Probably doesn't matter, as people will be pointing directly at one or the other.

We could presumably do a tomahawk release candidate in the same way, and send it out for testing at the same time (ie tomahawk-1.1.7-rc1 can be sent out after core-1.1.6-rc1 but before core-1.1.6 has been released).

Cheers,
Simon