Hmm, long time ago since I wrote this "diary"
Cannot remember the exact reason. Maybe the idea was it to have the
branch available for a quick fix.
i.e. to do a quick 1.1.7 when a security flaw arises and the trunk is
already unstable due to other changes and cannot be used for the
release. We once had that situation because of a javascript injection
vulnerability that was detected shortly after the release.
Of course you could always achieve this by copying the tag to the
branches folder on demand later.
But since SVN copies are only pointers this is no big problem IMO. So
I'd rather keep the tradition.
However, feel free to adopt the release process.

--Manfred