On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 3:02 PM, Jeanne Waldman
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Andrew, is this a made up use case or one that someone has asked for?

No, these are problems that I had when using Trinidad

> We
> usually decide whether or not a UI feature of a component should be an
> attribute on the component or a skinning property by how likely it is that
> someone will want to change it on a component basis or a application wide
> basis.
> Breadcrumbs showing the last item or not is something that an
> application should make consistent throughout, so it is a skinning property.

I disagree, this is why Trinidad's components are unusable for many
use cases outside of a simple application. There are many times that
components should not have a single look and feel. For example, it may
be very desirable for a component in a popup to look differently from
one in the page.

Another property that was made was whether or not to show select all
links in a table. This is also one that should be
component-configurable.

It is one thing to put this restriction on Trinidad and another to
spread these usage constraints to all of myfaces. A component author
should never assume what a user wants to do with their page but
instead build a component that is the most useful to help the author
build the web site according to their design and requirements, so
statements like "...is something that an application should make
consistent throughout..." I disagree with.

This is why I found Tomahawk components much better, more customizable
and much more useful for application development. The only reason I
started working on Trinidad was the skin's ability to filter CSS for
different agents and the PPR support.