Hello everyone I just read at the german Heise site that Oracle has bought Sun for 7.4 billion dollars.

I wonder what the implications in the long run will be.

My personal thought is that it might finally become possible that the RI and MyFaces can merge...

Java: Probably business as usual but maybe it will become more open!

OpenOffice will probably be maintained with the business as usual.

Same goes for OpenSolaris/Solaris

But I see a rather black future for Netbeans and MySQL...
(I would be sad if Netbeans would go away the IDE is simply excellent)

Also the proposed IceFaces merger as base for a future JSF-Sun component set might be now dead in the light of Oracle having already something in their portfolio!

As for the Sun hardware division that is a big question, but I personally guess Oracle will try to keep it alive and make it a cash cow again!