I'm seeing this issue on WebSphere 6.1 and Trinidad 1.0.11. Trinidad-1430
addressed part of this issue (in 1.0.12) but not totally. If I do a PPR on
an input text that contains cyrillic characters, they are replaced by "?".

Just to follow up on this, there is a post
http://old.nabble.com/-Trinidad--forced-UTF-8-in-PPR-responses--ts27545426.html#a27545426
that questions the validity of code in XmlHttpServletResponse. I see that in
my test case, the original encoding "ISO-8859-1" is replaced by utf-8 but if
I amend this code to use the original encoding, the issue still occurs.