I guess it depends on the goal.

If the goal is to incorporate new code into MyFaces, then it is much
easier to do it from the start as part of the on-going MyFaces project
rather than as a code drop at the end.

If the goal is to train the student up as an Apache committer, then it
is much easier to do it when they are interacting with the code in our
peer-reviewed environment.

As we saw in the last vote thread, there's already a process in place
to temporarily grant commit rights to GSoC students.

To me, all the advantages are on the side of a GSoC folder here rather
than a project located somewhere else.