One thing I noticed while testing my Ajax stuff is that Mojarra has some ViewScope optimizations, in MyFaces a deserialisation method I set on a ViewScoped bean always got called. In Mojarra it never was in the ppr case.

I can run my tests again to get the exact behavior.

Also have a serious look a user recently filed on following issue:

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MYFACES-2823

This definitely could be the cause of a huge performance bottleneck.

Werner