Hi why not introduce a url param as view window/tag token and
then basically hook the map history in the session onto this token if given.
We could use codi window id for that token. If present we can handle multiple maps per session if not then we run within the old scheme. Outside of codi you simply have to duplicate the window param id one way or the other.

Unless we have a different way to identify different maps depending on their window.
The viewstate history param then would map to number of views per window
and if no window id is given we basically run in the old scheme just with one indirection more in accessing the viewroot from the session point of view.
I dont think any of those changes would break the spec.

Werner