Hi,

There is regression in 1.4.0-rc1 which affects BLE controller on nRF51
as it is not possible to establish connection when acting as a master
(peripheral role and ongoing connections are NOT affected). This is
most likely broken since extended advertising data fragmentation was
merged some time ago which changed flow in TX code and, to make a long
story short, nRF51 is not fast enough to prepare CONNECT_IND packet
within required time after it received connectable advertising.
Possible workaround for this is to disable encryption and privacy
features in controller, though it may not be always feasible.

I made few optimizations which make things work again:
https://github.com/apache/mynewt-core/pull/1170
https://github.com/apache/mynewt-nimble/pull/128

However, I think we should test then a bit more in master first so I
would recommend to list above issue as a known issue in RN and then
make bugfix release (1.4.1 for core and 1.0.1 for NimBLE) soon with
fixes included if they turn out to work fine.

Best,
Andrzej