Dear community,

I am not fully confident, if this is the right place to ask, so let me know if there is a better place :-)

We were recently trying to run the NimBLE controller on nrf51-based platforms using RIOT. We found that that the NimBLE controller has a hardcoded dependency on the nrf51 NRF_TIMER0. The same timer is per default also used as base for the RIOT system timer (xtimer). Although its a simple workaround to map RIOT to use some other timer, it is sub-optimal in terms of energy usage, as the other timers are all only 16-bit. So my question: does the NimBLE controller need a >16-bit timer, and would it be feasible to make the used hw-timer configurable for the NimBLE nrf51-related controller code?

Cheers,
Hauke