I think lua for configuration would make sense, but I agree, a simpler
mechanism is also useful for more constrained systems.  I think it
would make sense that lua have hooks into the simpler configuration
system, and then more complex functions can be directly exposed by
lua.  Lua can supersede the simpler config if present.