Upon reflection, this idea has problems of its own.  The app still
needs to initialize the specific flash storage package being used.  So,
sorry for posting before thinking!  The idea could be salvaged with the
use of some #if directives in the app code, but I am not sure this is
any better than duplicating the entire app.

I think the problem you described won't be applicable to most apps.  The
example apps are affected by this because they are meant to be as
generic as possible.

Chris