On Thu, May 05, 2016 at 05:13:25PM +0530, Anuj Deshpande wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I followed the instructions on how to setup newt tool and then blinky on
> the nrf52 DK.
>
> http://mynewt.apache.org/os/tutorials/nRF52/
[...]
> I had to change the branch of the repos/apache-mynewt-core repo which was
> cloned for me using the newt tool. This isn't reflected in the docs (and I
> don't think it should be). Is there something amiss with the newt tool ?

Hi Anuj,

As you suspected, you should not need to change the branch using git.
The problem here is that nrf52dk support is a new feature that is going
into the upcoming release.  If all goes well, this release will be out
in a day or two.  Until the release is out, the apache-mynewt-core
repository points to the old tag (mynewt_0_8_0_b2_tag) which lacks this
feature.

Manually pointing the repo to a different branch with git solves the
problem in the short term, but it might cause trouble for you the next
time you try to upgrade the core repo.  I don't believe we have
documented the correct way to use developmental features, so I am
certainly not criticizing you for doing what you did!

The preferred way to use developmental features is to change your
project.yml as follows:

FROM:

    repository.apache-mynewt-core:
        type: github
        vers: 0-latest
        user: apache
        repo: incubator-mynewt-core

TO:

    repository.apache-mynewt-core:
        type: github
        vers: 0-dev
        user: apache
        repo: incubator-mynewt-core

(change the "vers" field).

Then upgrade your packages with "newt upgrade", e.g.,

    [ccollins@iori:~/tmp/myproj]$ newt upgrade
    apache-mynewt-core
    Would you like to upgrade repository apache-mynewt-core from 0.7.9-none to
0.0.0-none ? [Yn] y

Naturally, this branch is quite unstable.

Chris