You are correct; adding a bsp and mcu support is not the first thing I would
tackle either :-) Those boards are indeed cheap so getting one and trying
mynewt out with a board that is already supported is definitely the path I
would take.

I think once you get familiar with mynewt you will find that adding BSP/MCU
support is fairly easy.

Let us know how it goes!

Will