On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 11:59:49AM -0400, David G. Simmons wrote:
> The trouble  arises at this point. No device is ever registered for
> the USB port, so using minicom (or screen, etc.) isn’t an option as
> there is not device. I’ve tried everything I can think of, from
> removing the STLINK jumpers to plugging in both USB (STLINK and USER),
> etc. but still no joy.

Hi David,

You'll need to make sure the FTDI virtual COM port driver is installed
on your machine (http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm).  With the
driver present, plugging a USB cable into your computer should cause a
tty device to be added to /dev.

You have two options with the nRF52dk: 1) the virtual COM port, or 2)
the UART pins.  You get the virtual COM port "for free" when you power
your board via USB.  On OS X, this interface has a name beginning with
/dev/tty.usbmodem.  Alternatively, to use the UART pins, you need to
connect a three-wire serial cable to the RX, TX, and ground pins on the
board.

The virtual COM port is easier to set up, but the UART pins seem more
reliable.  In my experience, the virtual COM port sometimes gets "locked
up"; it won't send or receive data.  I should add that I don't know if
this is a problem with my computer, Mynewt, or the nRF52dk, so take it
with a grain of salt.