David:

I am not sure if this is the issue but it could be you are using the nrf52pdk
bsp as opposed to the nrf52dk bsp. The PCA version on top of the board will
tell you which one you should be using. The pdk is 10036 and the dk is 10040.
If you turn the board over you will see that pins 5,6,7,8 and RTS, TXD, CTS and
RXD (respectively). Of course, you gotta flip ‘em when you connect your serial
cable to them but I am sure you know that…

Anyway, let me know if that solves your problem (or not).